Thomas Family

Tim, Heidi and their darling daughter, Kairis. This is our family blog about how we do life....the ups and downs and everything in between!

Monday, January 07, 2008

Ok, so its been a while...

Yes, it has been a while. December and these first few days of January have really been full. From finishing school, to traveling to Kansas to remodeling the bathroom to picking out baby names to being sick, to.. Oh, yeah. Baby names. I suppose we have been a little busy!

So for those who haven't heard, the cat is out of the bag. We're pregnant! We have known since a few days before leaving for Kansas, and had a few appointments to see health and such before hopping on a plane for Christmas in the Midwest. All is well except for momma's health. They call it morning sickness, but personally, I think it is a stupid name. Heidi is sick in the morning alright, but sometimes also in the evening, and the afternoon, and at night... Preggie Pops helped for a while, but as baby continues to grow, and hormones continue to change, what worked one day doesn't work today, or even 5 minutes later!

We are super excited and have been talking names. We don't plan on sharing any of them yet at this time. We also were once thinking we would find out the sex, but this is the only time in our baby's life that it is gender neutral. The rest of it's life it will be "boy" or "girl". The mystery of this is quite amazing and we are now probably not going to find out gender until our little one enters the world. We'll let God hold it in his hands and trust Him for health and not knowing the gender will be a small reminder of trusting our creator.

Well, Here is the first photo taken when we were about 5 weeks along. You cannot see much, but you can tell we are expecting. The bun is in the oven and the dough is rising!




So, now that the news is out, Any guesses? I expect to hear all weigh in on their guesses: gender, weight, time... it will be fun to hear your thoughts.

Well, plenty more to share, but I need to turn the light off cause mommy Heidi needs her rest.


-T

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, guys!! Heidi, make sure you get your rest -- it seems to be helping with my morning/all-day sickness (that I didn't have with the other 2). That little baby will be doubling in size regularly for a few months and needs the rest! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey guys! Congratulations! It sure is exciting times. Sarah and I have been a bit on the quiet side, but we're also working through the morning sickness right now, it looks like we might be right about the same place you guys are too. The tentative due date is set at 08/08/2008.

Later,

David

Sarah Rahija said...

As David shared, we are also "baking". I am very interested in these "Preggie Pops" -- what the heck are they? I just started taking some vitamin B6 pills to hopefully help with the sickness. I'm trying anything I can think of to help - it's pretty yucky! Congrats to you! There are so many people expecting right now, it's crazy! So excited for you!

lani said...

finally reentered the blogosphere! whew!
:D
love you guys. praying for you...
praying that you'll change your mind about finding out the gender! ;)

Tim and Heidi Thomas said...

Sarah-

Preggie Pops are these candy/sucker things you can by at Motherhood Maternity. They are sour, and come in raspberry, tangerine, green apple, and ginger...they all have traces of ginger in them that has been proven to help with nausea. I love them! They're hard candy, and also come in suckers too. Yumo! You might be able to find them on ebay in bulk? Hopefully you have a motherhood maternity store nearby!! We are due at the end of July sometime. So excited for you guys!!!!!

Angel said...

Lets see, you want guesses on all the details. So I guess I will send mine first.
I am going to go with a baby birthday of July 18th, with the baby being a girl weighing 8lbs, 7 oz, 19 inches long.
As for names, I have no idea. It is just a guess for fun, so it will be awesome to hear how you are progressing!
Lets email more often if we can, ok!!
Love you all 3!!
Praying the sickness gets better!

Sarah Rahija said...

Thanks! I'll have to check them out - we have a Motherhood Maternity store in Overland Park, I think, so maybe when I go on Friday to help my sister with wedding invites, we can stop and find some candy for me! It's so funny how many people we know from ESU that are having babies this spring and summer ... Melinda and Brian R, Katie and Thad D, Matt and Sarah Z, Kristen and Eric Franklin, you guys, us, and I think a few others who aren't "public" yet. I also have a cousin who's due in mid July and another friend I met here who is from Reading and hubby is from Emporia. It's crazy! The end of trimester 1 is nearing for you - yea! I am horrible at guessing baby sex, weight, ..., so I'll leave that up to you and God! Love you!

Jennifer said...

CONGRATULATIONS on your news! How wonderful! :) My guess is July 24 for the baby boy and maybe 7lbs 7 oz. How's that for a clueless guess?!

I agree with Sarah R. about knowing a ton of people who are expecting! (There are 5 couples in the school where I teach who are expecting!) :) God is good!!

Here's hoping Heidi gets to feeling a LOT better soon!
--Fern :)

Kristi said...

Okay, I know I haven't commented, but I did know about the baby and everything so I didn't feel it totally necessary. All until I read your comments and then re-read the section about you not finding out the gender...Are you nuts? I admitedly dislike it when people don't find out the gender, mostly because it makes my life harder (ie: shopping for the baby shower) Also, because I hate surprises. But that's me. However think about this: What's the big deal about being gender neutral? Who wants to be gender neutral? No girl wants to be a boy (well, a very few) and certianly no boy wants to be a girl. We want to be different and have our differences celebrated! Also, keep in mind that you may want to have gender neutral while in utero, but you're going to want to play up the gender once he/she is born...but by then all your going to have is gender neutral clothing because no one knew what to buy you! So you'll have to spend a lot of money buying pink or blue on your own. Thirdly, it doesn't seem like knowing the gender means that you're not trusting God for the health of the baby..no matter if it's a boy or girl, it's still a lot of trusting for the health and safety and you're not taking anything out of God's hands by knowing what it is.
Whew! this is the longest comment I've ever left anyone! Ultimately of course it's your decision on whether to find out or not, but I just thought I'd throw in my two cents. Love you!

lani said...

yeah, what kristi said!
(maybe if we gang up you'll change your mind...)

you know i'm teasing. :D

... kinda
;)

Tim and Heidi Thomas said...

Ok, Ok, Ok. So we flux on whether or not we should find out or not. At first it was "lets find out, but keep names a secret" and then it was "it might be fun to have a mystery!"
I agree with your planning side Kristi, that was a great reason why we initially stated we would find out. it would be financially easier to purchase things for what we knew rather than getting stuck with "neutral colors like green and yellow.
As for "gender neutral", well, it was late when I first wrote this. I don't really know what that means except just that at this point, we aren't treating it as "boy" or "girl" yet. I guess it is just the surprise of having Heidi carry around her bump and the anticipation of not knowing creates excitement. We may still decide to find out, but for me, if I find out now, the mystery is all over.
We go in Friday for a big Doctors apt. We'll let you know more then.

-T

Kristi said...

Well, like I said, the decision is of course yours to make. But I guarantee that you will be just as excited if you knew it was a boy..or a girl. It's just a different kind of excitement..the mystery about what gender it is, of course is over, but there is so much mystery and wonder with the whole idea of pregnancy that I don't think you would be dissapointed if you knew what it was. Fridat is not ultrasound dr appt is it?

Sarah Rahija said...

I remember when we waited to see if it was a boy or girl with Erin -- and I loved it. Yes, we had the same round of grumpy family members and friends complaining about what kind of clothing to buy, ... however, I just always told them that diapers and toys were great, and if they'd like, they can wait until after to buy clothes ... the wee ones just need sleepers the first few weeks anyway, right?? Okay, maybe one or two cute outfits for pics and stuff, but with all the diapers you'll be changing, you'll want something easy to maneuver! We found out with Avery, and I have to say, of course, we love her, and loved knowing, but when we delivered, it just wasn't the same as the excitement of "It's a girl!". Totally up to you, just offering a "positive twist" to the not finding out the sex side :)

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! Well, you know that I am all for waiting till the baby is born to find out what the gender is. There are very cute clothes out now that can go wither way, and they don't have to be just green or yellow. People can always give blankets, onesies, diapers, toys, bath items, bedding, and other practical things until after the baby is born. We are still receiving gifts and Garrison is almost two months old. We totally loved waiting with both pregnancies. There is nothing like your doctor announcing what the baby is and the joy of that discovery. Stay strong, my friends. We will support you all the way!!! :) Andrea (and Jess)