Thomas Family

Tim, Heidi and their darling daughter, Kairis. This is our family blog about how we do life....the ups and downs and everything in between!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Decompressing...

I am practically knee deep in information. And you know what? I LOVE IT! I am an information junkie. No doubt about it. I love to learn new things. But most of all, I have to PROCESS new things with people. So, take my passionate personality and too much information on my mind and this is what you get! ;) I know of several of you that still read my blog, so I thought I'd share with you what I'm learning lately.

Most of you who read our blog know we are contemplating a major move to China this summer for a minimum of 2 years. Here are a few things I'm learning as it relates to our China process.

*skype. holy moly, what a cool thing.
*what a third culture kid is and how to relate to them, raise k well, provide support, etc.
*the history of china-from late 1800's-2005. Fascinating.
*food industry in china
*wild side of china--wilderness, animals, jungles, tibet, etc.
*the culture. people.

Okay. Item number 2 that I'm learning lots about. Marriage. Woah.

*egalitarianism vs. complementarian-ism (spelling?) This is huge for Tim and I right now. I won't get into the nitty gritty here, but feel free to ask me in real life if you're interested! (btw, we're egalitarian) :)
*Differentiation. This is a really good thing folks! Check out chapter 2 of Passionate Marriage by Snarch (I think that's his name...) if you're curious about what this actually looks like.
*Gender roles. Yuck. I hate even typing that phrase out.
*Mutual Submission. Another really awesome thing.
*Attachment principles in marriage. Sounds interesting, huh? It is! I am learning that similar attachment ideas that are important between children and parents are important between man and woman in marriage. Imagine that?! ;) We are currently listening to "Hold Me Tight" by Dr. Johnson, Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love.

Whew. That was hearty! Now onto the "parenting stuff".

*Grace Based Discipline. Another totally rad concept that I learned about when Kairis was first born. Praise the Lord for Dr. Sears, Jeff VanVonderen, and all those other stellar authors that "get this" and write about it so well. We are in the "terrific twos" with Kairis now, and are loving it! I could go into great detail, but I'll spare you.

Misc. stuff I'm learning about:

*Photography! Lani has graciously given me her old Canon Rebel DSLR for a sweet price. It comes with free photography lessons and other rad stuff. I am really excited about learning more about this.

*Fish tanks. We were gifted (thanks again, Lani!) a 35 gallon fresh water fish tank last summer and are continuing to enjoy learning about this new "world". Kairis especially loves our fish! :)

*Exercising, eating well, living naturally, etc. This is huge. I ran my first half marathon last spring and have since then tried to develop a habit of exercising. I am also co-leading a weight loss/management/healthy choice Bible study group with a few friends weekly. It's been a blessing to lead and learn.

*Blogging. Okay, so I'm trying to stay on top of maintaining this blog and K's private blog more regularly. :) I do have a strong desire to blog more often and actually discuss parenting/marriage/misc. topics here. I don't have the time to devote to this yet.

*Adoption/Foster Care stuff. This is kinda on the back-burner too, for now. We are hoping to do an International adoption if we move to China....we'll see how this goes. We are also excited to work in orphanages in China and learn more about the foster care system over there.

*Leading with Tim a married's "support group" that facilitates mentorship between couples, and social gatherings.

*Continuing to seek healing and restoration spiritually. I am really strengthening my faith and dependence on the Lord lately and learning how to "wait" and "trust". Those are two huge areas in which I am being challenged.

Whew. This about covers it. If you made it this far, you either really care about me, or you are just very curious. Or both.

The End.

11 comments:

Brittany said...

So nice to know there are other egalitarian couples out there. Sometimes, living down here in the good ol' South, it feels like we are the only ones. I've seen entire rooms of people tense up when I've dropped the phrase "mutual submission." No joke. I've been suggesting egalitarian-based studies for Bible studies for years and not once has a group agreed to do one.

Let me know if you come across any good photography resources! We also recently got a Canon DSLR and are enjoying learning (pretending?) how to use it. Those things do SO much!

Anonymous said...

Whoosh. Lots of stuff. Woot for egalitarianism. :) And I want to know more about the Hold Me Tight--is it a podcast?

Tim and Heidi Thomas said...

Twig-can I call you that? lol. Hold Me Tight is a book but we have the audio version. Check it out at the library...though I have a hold on it right now. It was recommended by Lane and Laura. It's super great. Sue Johnson is the author. You'll really like it.

Britt-woot for egalitarianism! I could have guessed you and R were already...;)

To be honest, we hadn't really heard of the term that often before, but are diving into some heavy/dysfunctional stuff (on my part particularly-you know my childhood :) ) and it's been awesome to hear a "term" for what we've been "doing". The shame that we've both experienced in so many ways, particularly from a well known preacher guy up in Seattle (hint, hint) and bought into is not cool. So we are "recovering" from some ideas...and it's totally awesome.

As for the camera stuff...Lani is the photographer, and so is "twig" (see above comment)....maybe they'd have some books they'd recommend? I am continually impressed with these cameras.

I so hope we get to connect soon in real life!!!

Anonymous said...

No. No Twig. I despise nicknames that don't originate from my real name (and nicknames that originate from my real name and end in 'y' are also summarily vetoed). :-D I was signed into the wrong google account, thought about deleting and reposting, and then realized you could probably figure out who it was. I'll probably grab that book from the library when you're done.

Britt, my favorite photography book was the Idiot's Guide to Photography. Some days I wonder if I should confess to that. :)

Tim and Heidi Thomas said...

oh okay! I didn't think you'd want me to call you twig. So, Rebekah...I'm excited you're following my blog! :)

Ohh, I'll have to borrow that idiots guide sometime. Most days I feel like an idiot as it pertains to this camera anyway! :)

Brittany said...

Heidi - I know what you mean about having 'bought into' some ideas in the past. I have a vivid memory of getting into a heated discussion with Arden after youth group about why I (at the time) disagreed with our church policy of accepting female pastors. Would that I had known then what I know now and had appreciated being a member of a church that encouraged equality in its members! Have you found any resources you've enjoyed and would recommend on this topic?

Rebekah (Twig?) - Thanks for the book recommendation! I never would have reached for that on my own, but we definitely could use an idiot-level guide. :)

Anonymous said...

You're quite welcome. I wouldn't either, but it was great (especially for learning an SLR). My nikon camera manual was also surprisingly helpful--I'm sure the Canon is a little different, but they usually have some good explanations of the different features.

Tim and Heidi Thomas said...

Britt,

Wow! That's so interesting about Arden. We drove up to BC to visit him and the family a couple years ago and stayed a week....and when we mentioned to him at the time we were enjoying Mark Driscoll (heard of him? 5pt calvinist-patriarchal guy?) he kind of gagged. Lol. I didn't understand why at the time...but I do now. :) It's still embarrassing at how we fell for some of his ideas.

As for resources...I will point you to Rebekah again. I have a whole slew of authors I stay away from now...but I'm certain you already have the clarity to know good from bad here.

So, Rebekah...have any stellar book recommendations for Britt? She's an avid reader and well educated, so give her your best. :)

I will try and dig up some other info on this and email it to you when I have a chance.

btw, what egalitarian Bible studies have you recommended?

Sarah said...

Wow, lots of stuff here. I'd love to talk to you more about all of it. More specifically the attachment principles in marriage and exercising and eating well :)

Hope we can see each other again soon. That is, if Jacob ever get's over this bug :(

Brittany said...

Oh yes, I've heard of Mark Driscoll. And I completely understand the gagging. :) That's great that you were able to visit with Arden! I didn't realize you had kept in touch with him.

Knowing good from bad - I'm getting better at it. Several years ago I tossed out my (very extensive) collection of Elisabeth Elliot books. (It did make me a bit sad, as I find parts of her story very inspirational.)

Re: studies: Most recently I suggested The Blue Parakeet by Scot Mcknight (haven't read it yet, though I've liked other of his books). Our leader (who is generally fabulous) turned it down without even submitting the idea to our group. I've also recently had my eye on Closer by Jim Burns for a personal study for me and Ryan. I really liked Jim and Sarah Sumner's Just How Married Do You Want to Be? I've been pressing it into the hands of anyone who will listen!

Generally, when I'm looking for a resource for something, I start with the Christians for Biblical Equality resource page. I've found Bible studies through them, informative articles, you name it. We even referenced their suggested marriage ceremony when determining what to do at our own wedding!

Unknown said...

Britt, thanks for the book recommendations! I will definitely look into them. I hope Bekah chimes in soon--she's a recent graduate from Multnomah Bible University and has a lot of great information to share. That's great to learn of the Biblical equality page too--I will be bookmarking that on my blog soon. :) Speaking of your wedding, I am still so sad I wasn't able to make it. I am so excited to potentially see you soon, though!

Sarah, I would love to discuss eating/exercising/marital stuff anytime! Praying Jacob feels better soon.