Thomas Family

Tim, Heidi and their darling daughter, Kairis. This is our family blog about how we do life....the ups and downs and everything in between!

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Saying goodbye...

Having spent over 3 years on a daily basis together makes it much harder to say good bye (insert tears and that mid-nineties Boyz-2-Men song)...


As some of you may know, I have had an issue with my ACL for a few years and it has just recently given out for the last time. The first was on a razor scooter where I tried to hit the brake that ended up being the wheelie bar and I did a cool flip snapping my left knee in the opposite direction of which it was designed to bend.

This last Friday night, after an hour of playing in the community pool with our 18 month old cutie, we decided to use up our Burgerville gift card for supper and got chicken sandwiches. Somewhere between bouncing around with Kairis to "Tequila" and sitting in the little kid booths, I forgot I had a history of knee problems.

As I stood there by the jukebox with Kairis in my Right arm watching the records being changed, something hit me like Sammy Sosa's 500th Home run and I toppled. Kairis must have thought is was part of my dance routine or just another ride, but My knee said otherwise. I could not stand, and had to hop on one leg like a jack rabbit to the car with my left knee throbbing.

Fast forward to this past Tuesday when I go the the Dr. He says he wants to wait until the swelling is down and my range of motion is back before surgery. So, since ACL reconstruction is necessary, he is giving me 2 more weeks of ice and ibuprofen before I go under the knife. I know I will need a new ACL and some work on my meniscus, and who knows what else when he opens me up. We will hopefully have a surgery scheduled by the end of the week or early next week.

The good bye not only goes out to my ACL (because we said goodbye to that along time ago) but to my wonderful little Civic Wagovan. The joy of driving a 5-speed manual is , for the next few months, a thing of the past. My car will be someone's Craigslist treasure and I will have to find a boring automatic to commute in for a while.

So, a moment of silence for our departed friend . . .


"It's so hard, to say good bye, to yesterdaaa-eeeee!" . . .


1 comment:

Angel said...

awww!! If I could find a way to get it home, I would buy it just so that we could keep it for you. :-) And it is probably better than C's truck!! A lot of people here are praying that your knee will go down as you obey the dr orders and keep off it.
If you guys need anything during the recovery, let us know. I can send weekly OCP's for recovery in a day if you need me too. :-)