Thomas Family

Tim, Heidi and their darling daughter, Kairis. This is our family blog about how we do life....the ups and downs and everything in between!

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Fuzzi Bunz...

I know, catchy title, huh? For those of you who haven't heard of "fuzzi bunz", they are an all in one style cloth diaper. I decided that it would be wise to test out the cloth diaper stash I have before I run out of my disposables (still going through those ones you gave me, Andrea!) just to make sure I can handle all of the laundry and all of that.

So, we put Kairis in her first ever Fuzzi Bunz on Sunday, and we all love them! They are sooo soft and super cute on. I am impressed with how dry the inside stays while the liner soaks up the moisture and keeps it away from her skin.

This week, I've been heading out to a few consignment and retail stores in the NE and SE parts of PDX, to get a few more cloth diapering supplies: ie: wet totes, and Charlie's Soap. For those Mom's who read my blog and live in the area, I'd encourage you to check out some really cool shops:

Milagros in NE Portland; consignment; handmade treats from local mama's, slings, baby carriers, and an excellent assortment of new cloth diapers and accessories. Oh, and the coolest thing about this store are the people! This really nice lady showed me another way of carrying Kairis more upright in my sling! SO helpful! They also have playgroups, and a class one Sunday a month on baby-wearing. I might check it out; anyone interested in going with me?

Mother Nature's in SE Portland; Charlie's Soap is sold here for a great price, as well as new wet totes and other locally crafted, fair trade, organic products. Large selection of new cloth diapers and covers, as well as slings and carriers.

Piccolina's in SE Portland, across the street from Mother Nature's: consignment, trade, retail. This is my favorite consignment baby store! They have everything from new Bob strollers to adorable hand made leg warmers and custom hair accessories. They give you a good credit or cash for your clothes, cloth diapering accessories, etc. (50%...and they sell their stuff for more, so you get more in the end...) They also sell new carriers, and other little things for kids and mom's.

There was one other baby/kid consignment store I visited on 31st and Division--I don't recall the name though. It was packed full of stuff, from co-sleepers to ton's of clothes, cloth diapering stuff, swings, etc. The prices were great too. They do consignment, for in store credit only. I would probably only buy from this store and not consign, as I wouldn't get as much of a return here.

So...there's my plug for the consignment stores in the area. As for cloth diapering....I am using fuzzi bunz exclusively right now, and loving the convenience of the all in one style diaper. I also have a bunch of prefolds and wraps that I'll use occasionally. Washing these is quite simple too! I'd highly encourage anyone to try cloth diapering, if even only while at home. I have some great websites and other resources I can direct you to if you'd like more information on the benefits of cloth diapering, not only from an environmental standpoint, but also for the health of your little one. Oh, and the best of all...look at all the money you'll be able to spend on more important things! :)

G'night!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I might want to check out some of those stores with you. I'm kind of a chicken about going to new places by myself...
I have just recently been thinking about cloth diapers. I briefly thought about them before G was born, but never really took it much further. I want to pick your brain a bit about them.

Tim and Heidi Thomas said...

Absolutely!! Call me anytime--I'm always willing to help with any info I can pass along!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like some fun stores! Glad the diapering is going well. If you guys do go sometime I'd love to tag along!

Amy said...

It's fun to see someone else doing the cloth diaper thing! I have never tried Fuzzi Bunz, but I have a few Happy Heiny's, Blueberry's, and Swaddlebee's that I've been very happy with. Have you tried the flushable liners? They make for a lot less mess in cleanup, which I am all for. Good to know about all those stores in town!