I got off work at 2 and Heidi went to pickup firewood we traded for a woodworking lamp. We hit Big 5 for an axe and Burger King for chicken sandwiches before we hopped on Hwy 26. After a 20 minute drive, we stopped at the first campsite (that had one opening) and the second (that was full), the 3rd (full) 4th (full) 5th (FULL), 6th? ... (FULL) by then, we were at the mountain and it was 6pm. Not dark yet, but getting closer. We decided to head toward Hood River on the North/East side of Mt Hood. Finally we found Robinhood Campground (yes it sounds funny, and no we did not see men in tights, any merry men or Little John). There were ony 2 sites available and one was extremely dusty and more out in the open. We opted for site #2.
We unpacked, and payed our$10 fee (which by the way is $8 less than the other sites, plus checkout here was 2pm and everywhere else 12 noon). As we were walking back from paying our fee, we noticed a nature sign. "Cool" we thought, "Let's see what we can learn about our area!" As we read along, we found that due to the elevation and the fluctuating temperatures, ice melt from the glaciers near the summit, can cause flash floods. In fact, a few years ago, the enire campsite was exterminated by a flash flood. The time of day when floods are most likely to happen; evening. Luckily we chose the campsite that was furthest from the water.
When we got up, we were FREEZING. Evidently the temperatures really do fluctuate. Just the night earier we were in t-shirts playing catch with our baseball mitts and BBQing burgers, then we awoke to a layer of frost on the car, our camping chairs and the grass. I don't know how cold it got, but I took a walk to the toilet hole and saw that water overnight had risen to at one point 4ft higher than what we saw the day earlier!
Heidi made bacon and pancakes for breakfast and I tried to entertain the birds.
Then I decided we needed adventure. If you have ever seen "Man vs Wild" you will know where we are going, but if not, go to youtube, search for man vs wild and watch an episode of the crazy stuff this guy does to stay alive in the wild.
Needlesstosay, my "adventure" of Man vs Wild was a spoof, but it was a lot of fun creating it.
We are getting ready for school again and I am beginning to see that Teaching is becoming my call. I can't seem to stay away from school and I love having my summer off!
Coming soon...
What on earth did Tim and Heidi do to their bedroom?
plus
What do Maps, cats and a moving truck have to do with worship?
Stay tuned to find out!
-T
4 comments:
So did you make a movie spoof of man vs wild? Did you drink your own urine?
I (heidi) video taped Tim and his adentures; we split it up into segments. And no, we didn't drink urine. Once we figure out how to post videos from our camera, we'll post it on the blog. :) It's cute!
Heidi, you've been tagged..read my blog.
I sadly have to add, that for some unknown reason, most of the Man vs Wild adventure was deleted. I do however have a short clip to "tease" you all with, but until someone can show me how to post videos, you'll have to e-mail me for a copy.
-T
Post a Comment