Thomas Family

Tim, Heidi and their darling daughter, Kairis. This is our family blog about how we do life....the ups and downs and everything in between!

Thursday, August 09, 2007

A Longview way for a couch!

So you may have read a hint from Heidi on our new living room style. Originally Heidi was planning to paint the living room a deep red, with a sorta creamy yellow accent wall, have 2 nice loveseats surrounding an old country style black coffee table and we were going to build in bookshelves and all would be good. Then IKEA came to town.






So, the day they open, Guess who is there? Of course, my wife Heidi. Wednesday the 25th of July, they opened shop and Heidi was there as soon as she could get there. Friday, of course, she had to take me so we could both go check it out. Saturday? yup, we took Joel and Lani. So, in all of that, Heidi gets a new idea for style (If you have ever been to IKEA, there are PLENTY of styles to choose from, 2 floors of a MASSIVE warehouse to be exact). Now, our living room had a new idea. Sell the coffee table, sell the loveseats, toss the bookshelf idea, let's start over with a new plan!

So, Heidi calls me one afternoon and tell me about this couch she found while "casually looking" (intently scouring) Craigslist. it is a great deal on a great couch and we should consider (get) it.



I say, as I've said before, "Honey, I trust your judgement, and as long as it doesn't cost us more than what we can make by selling a few pieces, I am game." So she shows me photos and I volunteer to pick it up on my day off, the first of the month, I make plans to get a couch. First of all, let me tell you how much I love my wife. So much so that I would be willing to lay down my time to pick up a couch in Washington. Longview, Washington. An hour and a half drive to Longview Washington. Heidi is on a mission. She sells a chair to pay for the couch and sends me out the door to pickup a couch.

Wednesday mornings I meet with Joel, a good friend of mine for accountability and I actually set my alarm for PM not AM so I over slept and missed him. I was also scheduled to pick up a couch in Longview at 7:45am, which is a Long ways away. Mind you this is a 7 ft couch with ottoman. I need a truck. I have hauled a lot of things in my Civic Wagovan, (look back a few months and you'll see my chair that actually didn't fit) So, I ask to borrow our good friend Jeanne's truck. Praise God we picked it up the night before. It was a long drive.

On my way I saw a run-away houseboat floating down the Columbia River, a drug bust on a 50's travel trailer parked alongside the road, I forgot my cell phone, got lost in Longview and followed what I thought was the right road to a gravel pit! By the time I got there (I was supposed to pick this up BEFORE he went to work at 8) It was 9am. He graciously helped me lift it onto the truck and load in pillows. I paid him an extra $5 for my tardyness.

By the time I got home, my borrowed truck was almost out of gas, and I had to stop by Heidi's work to get the only key to her car so I could drop off the truck and bring her car back. Not to mention by the time I got back to the house, I had nobody to help me UNLOAD the couch. Luckily our drunk neighbor was around and was sober enough to help me muscle it in the living room. (he is another story by the way. we had a good conversation about God and I gave him a New Testament Bible. He has read it since then and tells us how he found God, but since he still drinks so much, I am not sure how genuine he is just yet. Keep praying...) Anywho, It is a great couch that we have only sat in once since our living room is in remodel. Soon we will have more photos for you to see and once Heidi gets rid of the loveseats, I'll be setting up the home theatere system so we can do movies again.

Life is an adventure. We can choose to live in these moments or live in the past. I choose Now.


More Adventures to come... like our campouts...

6 comments:

Kristi said...

That is hilarious. What a good husband you are!

lani said...

lol - poor tim!

still haven't seen that couch, i'm excited to...

:)

Anonymous said...

Great blog! BTW, we are in the market for a loveseat.... hint, hint! Can't wait for those camping stories and no, the pregnant lady sitting down is not always stuffing her face with food! :)
Andrea Culver

Angel said...

Loved your story. Obviously you love Heidi or you wouldn't have gone through all that and laugh to post about it.
Chris just having to live with my scatterbrainedness is enough to prove to me that he loves me. :-)
I really miss you guys and am living for December. Let me know when you do about flights. As far as we know, we will still be here to pick you up. :-)
All our love from here

Tim and Heidi Thomas said...

Andrea-hope you get this! Just wanted to let you know that I am burning you a cd of all the pics you requested. I will give it to you on Sunday. :) Call me sometime! I'd love to get together. Love, Heidi

Jennifer said...

You two crack me up! I'm excited to see the new couch in the remodeled space. Way to be a supportive hubby!